Airtightness and MVHR - What is the real cost/saving?
Passive Airtightness & MVHR V Building regulations During our recent passive house designer course with Target Zero we considered the following - a cost comparison of a typical house designed to meet current building regulations and a house designed to achieve passive house levels of Airtightness including MVHR. The results were surprising and had the potential to save €20,000 over the life of the mortgage
- €643/year = Cost of air leakage at 7/m3/m2/h - Current building regulations (N 50 of 5.74) Losses due to leakage and through required vents as per Part F
- €96/year = Cost of air leakage at 0.6ac/h -Certified Passive house, Passive House has losses due to MVHR efficiency – losses based on 85% efficiency.
- €547 = Annual difference in cost of air leakage between passive house levels and achieving building regulations
- €3000.00 Supply and fit of Airtight materials
- €5000.00 Supply and fit Lunos Decentralised ventilation system
- €140.00 Annual saving from the above example.
- €100.00 Additional saving by using Lunos MVHR ventilation system
- €240.00 Total potential savings per annum from installing the above systems.
- Condensation is avoided in the structure
- The formation of mould and structural damage is avoided
- Pollutants are avoided in the air within the rooms
- The noise-reduction mass in structural components is guaranteed
- The insulating effect of structural components is guaranteed
- The ability of ventilation systems to work properly is guaranteed
posted by on Wednesday, November 27, 2013